The original library building.
The library building with additions.
The Hotel Baker
The Historic Dr. Best House
The "new" library building
After the flood
Our beautiful quilt square
September 9th, 1932: From the preliminary meeting of the Middleburgh Library Association – “A group of persons interested in starting a village public library met by invitation, on Friday evening, Sept. 9, 1932 at the home of Superintendent & Mrs. William F. Spencer. It was decided to form a temporary library association according to a plan outlined by the State Department of Education, and to start a drive for charter members.
Financial support has been promised by the Cooperative Club and the Century Club. The board of Education of the Middleburgh Central School has set aside a room in the Haynes House, which has recently been remodeled as a room for the village library. Means of heating the room have been provided. Mrs. Frances B. Spencer, who is a qualified librarian, donated her services as librarian without cost, for two afternoons and two evenings a week.” Mrs. Spencer served as librarian without pay for more than 40 years! The local Boy Scouts helped collect books to be loaned from within the community. A membership drive collected funds, and the book committee made a trip to New York City to purchase $500.00 worth of books. Over three thousand books were loaned during the first year.
1932: On December 15th the library received its provisional State Charter. It was established as an Association Library, and was chartered to provide service to the residents of the Middleburgh School District.
1932-1937: The library moved four times and a permanent home became necessary. A small old house located at the intersection of Main Street and Wells Avenue was purchased and remodeled. The second floor was used as a meeting space. During World War II, the Red Cross maintained a sewing room on the second floor and the USO used it for their book collections.
1941: The library was granted an absolute charter.
1956: The library was enlarged and an addition was added to the small building.
1957: A Children’s Room addition was added.
1962: A Genealogy and History Room were added.
1992: The Best House and property were donated to the Middleburgh Library Association by the Estate of Dr. Duncan L. Best. The house was to become the Dr. Christopher S. Best Medical Exhibit. The idea of constructing a new library building on the remaining property was investigated, but it was decided that the lot was not large enough for a new building along with the required parking and septic system needed.
1996: The 1941 charter was amended and the Middleburgh Library became an Association School District Library – the only such library in the Mohawk Valley Library System.
1997: With a generous donation from the Middleburgh Telephone company and individuals from the community, a lot was purchased at the corner of Main Street and Baker Avenue - the site of the old Hotel Baker - for the future home of the library.
2002: A major fund drive was begun and construction was finally started in the Spring.
2004: On June 5th the new library opened its doors at 323 Main Street. All of the former elements of the old library; a community/meeting room, a children’s room and a History/Genealogy room are components of our current library building.
2011: On August 28th the library was flooded by Hurricane Irene. Due to the devastation, the building was forced to close its doors. Over 3,000 books, carpeting, furnishings and computers were lost. With the help of volunteers and numerous donations the library reopened for business with a special celebration on February 4th, 2012.
Present: The library continues to be a community gathering place and a vital part of the fabric of Middleburgh!